Friday 20 September 2013

Module 5

A friend of mine introduced me to mind mapping with Freemind.  Bubbl.us reminds me of that, with the advantage of being online.  Below is my experiment with Bubbl.us, embedding a mindmap of this course that will grow as I progress through the modules (as well as zooming, you can click and drag the map to move it around).


Mind maps are a great way of brainstorming with structure.  I used Freemind in teaching Environmental Science building out from question "How to save the planet?" as we covered various topics over a number of weeks.  In that same class I had students make Glogs using at least 5 ideas from our shared mindmap.  They had a lot of fun making them and we rearranged the tables so the room became more like a design studio!


I also think that Prezis are amazing - although I think you have to use them selectively.  All that zooming can lead to motion sickness!  I've used them mainly to give overviews of a course or topic, such as introducing Year 10 Biology

No comments:

Post a Comment