Sunday 22 September 2013

Module 7


At school our library runs sets of Delicious bookmarks for various subjects and research projects within each subject.  As a comparison, I tried Diigo in this module.  It seemed very easy to use and could be a great way of a class generating resources together.  I like the way links are commented on and annotated, and the permanence it offers in comparison to Twitter references.  I would like to try it for a specific class project.  It could also be interesting to use for my own professional learning ... if only I had the time to check it!

Diigo stores cached versions of websites that are part of your collection even if the original disappears.  This is a great advantage because more often than not the websites you point students at change and links are broken.  Files within websites are also saved, such as pdfs and mp3s, although I'm sorry that videos aren't saved as these are those critical things that disappear just when you want to use them again!

I converted a set of links that I use for Year 10 Biology from a word document to a Diigo list Life on Earth - a walking tour to see how the process works.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Peter, Please excuse my ignorance but this is the first time I've heard about Delicious and Diigo! I'm glad that tools like these are there to help me save my search but I'm still a little 'vague' in how to use them properly. Many of what we've have learned so far in this course have great potential to be used in the educational world, but as you commented, if only we had the time to check them out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree Ping. I appreciate that this course gives us a taste of many things - somehow we need to file them away for use in the future...

      Delete